Sunday, May 21, 2006

Raced up in San Clemente today - that's about an hour north of San Diego, just north of Camp Pendleton - the marine base.  Anyway, it was a pretty challenging course - always up and down the hills.  Wasn't too sure how I'd go at this one - sometimes I can go okay in the hills and sometimes not.  This was an okay day.  So I was covering some midrace moves, etc, but missed the move that actually stayed away for the win.  7 people up the road, but the money went 20 deep, so it was still on in the field.  I've got to say I was pretty tired through the middle of the race from doing a bit of work, but when it came down to the fininsh it was on like donkey kong.  i was right up in the front - top 5, top 10 - and it was fairly gruesome - just bumping and grinding left and right.  the pace was very uneven - we'd make quick jumps, but then nobody really wanted to lead out the sprint, so things were dicey.  i was jumping just fine, but then i just missed the final jump right before the final corner of the race.  i wasn't out of gas - i just missed the anticipation, and by not "pre" jumping i got boxed and swarmed and that was it.  a disappointing finish in that i was in a really good position and i could've got in the money today, but it's all okay.  the fact that i was there ready to go in the finish is 90% of the job.  it was a good day.  turned in 311 (omaha stylee, ya'll) miles of training for the week, so i can't complain about that.

No comments: